Call for Papers: Open Sessions
Law Libraries Section joint with Subject Analysis and Access Sections
"Optimizing Subject Access to Legal Resources: Solidarity in Divergence"
The Law Libraries Section and the Subject Analysis and Access Sections will be jointly hosting a two hour open session during the 2017 conference in Wroclaw, Poland. We are seeking papers that highlight innovative and effective ways of applying subject access to legal resources. While the session will focus on optimizing subject access to legal information, most if not all of the program will have broad application to subject access in all types of libraries.
Topics may include (but are not limited to):
- How do libraries work independently or collaboratively, in a local, national or more global scale to improve subject access to legal resources?
- How do they select, adopt, and adapt their legal classification schemes and other means of subject access in response to sociopolitical change, including changes in laws or governance?
- How are differences in legal systems reflected by differences in legal classification and subject headings?
- How can use and reuse of legal classification and subject data be broadened to further assist users as a reference tool?
- What are the challenges of providing multilingual subject access to legal materials?
- What are the unique challenges of subject headings and access for legal resources (for example: different meaning of same terms when applied to civil law vs. common law systems; law of Europe vs. law of European Union vs. law of European Union countries)?
- Do linked open data and the semantic web present opportunities for optimizing subject access to legal resources?
- What are the challenges of structuring subject access to legal resources to reflect indigenous and minority cultures and other groups?
17 March 2017 – Deadline for submitting 800 word proposals for papers and presentations. Proposals may be submitted in English or French. A brief biographical statement of speaker(s) should also be submitted. Information should include: title of presentation; subthemes that it addresses, a short abstract, all authors, noting likely presenter; a brief statement indicating how the proposal addresses the conference theme: Libraries. Solidarity. Society; institutional affiliations; contact information, including all email addresses.
7 April 2017 – Successful proposals will be identified and information sent to all who submit proposals.
16 June 2017 – Deadline for submission of final paper and abstract, plus a brief biographical statement of speaker(s). Papers should be no more than 2000 words and can be submitted in English or French. Attempts will be made to provide translations into other official languages. Information should include: title of presentation; subthemes that it addresses, abstract, names of all authors, noting likely presenter (or presenters); institutional affiliations; contact information, including all e-mail addresses.
30 June 2017 – Deadline for authors to return Authors’ Form.
June/July 2017 – All speakers will be notified of the time of the program.
All proposals, final papers, and questions should be sent to be sent via e-mail in a MS Word attachment to:
Email: Helene.Besnier@univ-paris1.fr by the respective deadlines outlined above.
The receipt of all submissions will be acknowledged.
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Wrocław, Poland. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on our Conference Participation Grants webpage.