Call for Papers: Satellite Meetings
Library Services to Multicultural Populations Section
"From Refugee to Citizen-Integration: Policies and Actions of Cultural Institutions"
16–17 August 2017
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin / State Library Berlin, Berlin (Germany)
The IFLA Library Services to Multicultural Populations Section invites proposals for papers to be presented at a two day satellite conference in Berlin, Germany prior to the next IFLA General Conference in August 2017 in Wroclaw, Poland.
This session focuses on the issues of refugee and immigrant communities and the ways that libraries and other cultural institutions serve to incorporate new immigrants into their new home cultures and societies. While some countries have found success in integrating new citizens, other locations have struggled to provide services.
Subjects of interest include
- How do libraries and other cultural institutions support refugees?
- Journey from a refugee to a citizen
- Best practices and knowledge sharing of inclusion, multicultural practices
- What services has your institution provided that have been successful?
- Has your library provided leadership in the area of service to immigrants?
- Promotion of cultural competencies to library professionals and their staff
- Promotion of cultural competencies to politicians and decision makers
Proposals should include:
- Title of presentation
- Abstract of no more than 500 words in English, French, or Spanish
- Name, e-mail address, position (title) of presenter(s), plus a brief presenter(s) biography
- Presenter(s) employed or affiliated institution
Important dates and timelines
Please send your proposal for papers no later than 27 February 2017 to the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject heading “2017 Berlin Satellite conference”.
The proposals will be evaluated by the Program Committee members of the IFLA Library Services to Multicultural Populations Section and the notification of acceptance will be sent by 24 March 2017.
The presenters selected for the program at the Berlin satellite conference will be asked to submit a formal paper no later than 1 May 2017.
Papers will be accepted in any of the IFLA non-English languages (Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Russian and Arabic), however, they should include an abstract in English as well. Simultaneous translation will allow for papers to be presented in any of the seven IFLA languages.
Both abstracts and full papers should be submitted as a MS Word file by e-mail. Proposed papers must be original and not have been published elsewhere.
All proposals must be in before 27 February 2017.
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Wrocław, Poland. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on our Conference Participation Grants webpage.