Call for Papers: Open Sessions
Committee on Standards
"The Use of IFLA Standards in the Linked Data Environment: Strategies, Applications and Success Stories"
IFLA Committee on Standards (CoS), invites proposals for papers to be presented at its Open Session at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress/ 83rd IFLA General Conference and Assembly, 19–25 August 2017, Wroclaw, Poland – Libraries: Solidarity: Society.
Aims and scope
Proposals are expected from IFLA standards development and review groups, including those working on FRBR, ISBD and UNIMARC, as well from practitioners and researchers from national and international standards organizations, national libraries and bibliographic services.
Authors of relevant papers and presentations will severally and collectively:
- Share practical experience on successful implementation of library linked data standards, including strategy, services, practices and programmes.
- Demonstrate new technical developments in standards for semantic web and linked data.
- Create and broaden awareness and insight about the available technical expertise, infrastructure, innovative tools and management systems needed for effective implementation of related standards.
- Discuss collaborative projects and partnerships on the development of free and/or open data and systems, and associated collaborative tools and infrastructure.
- Share experience of publishing standards in linked data formats, including the use of such distribution channels as social media platforms and mobile apps.
- Describe and discuss technical models and operational mechanisms of joint/distributed developments of standards-based linked data systems and services (sectoral, national and international).
Proposals must be original work of author(s), address one or more of the sub-themes, written in English or French, and include:
- Title of proposed paper:
- Name(s) of author(s).
- Author’s professional role and institutional affiliation, if any.
- Author’s e-mail address and telephone number (s).
- Abstract of the proposed paper (about 200 words); and
- Short professional profiles of presenter(s) – about four lines.
Papers and presentations
The open session will feature about six papers of 3000 to 5000 words in length, each to be presented in 10 minutes in about 10 slides.
|20 February 2017:||Submission of paper proposal (including 200-word abstract).|
|5 March 2017:||Communication of acceptance or rejection of proposal.|
|30 April 2017:||Submission of completed draft of paper.|
|15 May 2017:||Submission of presentation slides.|
All proposals will be reviewed by a panel set up by the Committee.
Please email your proposals and completed papers to:
Dr. Christie Koontz
Chair, CoS WLIC2017 Open Session Organizing Committee
Ms. Jan Richards
Chair, IFLA Committee on Standards
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Wrocław, Poland. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on our Conference Participation Grants webpage