Call for Papers: Open Sessions
Government Libraries Section, Library and Research Services for Parliaments Section joint with Law Libraries Section
"Government and Parliamentary libraries: supporting UN Sustainable Development Goals"
The Government Libraries, Library and Research Services for Parliaments and Law Libraries Sections invite proposals for short presentations to be presented at a two-hour programme at the forthcoming IFLA General Conference, to be held on August 2017 in Wroclaw, Poland.
The session aims to address the ways that Government Libraries and Parliaments providing information services collaborate and promote the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at national and local levels.
The SDGs are an ambitious set of 17 goals and 169 targets, a plan of action for strengthening universal peace in larger freedom. As the SDGs is a framework that will shape the progress of development in the next years, IFLA is particularly involved with Target 16.10: Ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms.
We welcome proposals from individuals and organizations who can share views and implementations on Government/Parliamentary libraries helping to deliver the access to information elements of the SDGs. The selected speakers will deliver short presentations lasting 10 minutes (maximum) and participate in an interactive session with a Knowledge Cafe format.
Subjects of interest may include:
- Official collaborations amongst Government Ministries/Departments/Agencies for the promotion/advocacy of the public right to access information and data
- Experiences/collaborations of engaging library users of Government/Parliamentary circles to deliver/implement policies linked to UN SDGs
- Participation of Government Libraries/Parliamentary Libraries networks in the promotion/advocacy of the role of libraries in development/contributing to the SDGs
- Stories and examples on how the SDGs can provide a vehicle for the interest of Government/Parliamentary libraries and their users
Proposals should include:
- Title of the presentation
- A detailed abstract of no more than 800 words
- Name, e-mail address, position (title) of presenter(s)
- A brief biographical statement of no more than 100 words
Important dates and timelines:
Please email your proposals before 03 March 2017 to:
Guillermo A. García Capcha
The proposals will be evaluated and notification of acceptance/rejection will be sent by 20 March 2017.
For collective proposals, at least one of the authors must be present during the session. All selected papers will be uploaded on the IFLA website.
The session will be conducted in English. All proposals and presentations will be required to be in English. Final papers can be submitted in one of the official IFLA working languages. If the paper is written in other official IFLA language than English, an accompanying translation in English must be attached.
For more information, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org
All proposals must be in by 03 March 2017.
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Wrocław, Poland. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on our Conference Participation Grants webpage.